How to connect with Service Members and Veterans
Recommended greetings: “Thank you for your service and sacrifices.”
Ask “get to know you” questions like: Lead with small talk. Let in-depth discussions about detailed experiences evolve naturally.
- Did you serve in the military?
- Which branch?
- What did you do in the military?
- What did you like most about serving in the military?
- Why did you join?
- How long did you serve?
- What were some of the places you were stationed? What was your favorite? Why did you like it?
- Did you deploy overseas?
- How is your adjustment to civilian life coming along?
- How can I help you get to know our community?
- Is there anything I can do to help welcome you home? Ideas include:
- Groups/clubs you belong to
- Community events
- Volunteer service projects
- Your place of worship
- Invite him/her to coffee to get to know them. Use active listening and try to identify ways to connect him/her to the community.
** DO NOT ask if they have shot or killed anyone.